Frequently Asked Questions

Our residents live here; our community is their home. Why do we need a public performance license to watch movies in common areas?

Exhibitions in common areas such as lounges, theaters, or community rooms are considered public performances. Since the common areas are shared among various residents, showing movies in such spaces would require a public performance license.

How much does the Umbrella License cost?

Pricing for senior living and health care communities is based on the number of closed circuit connections on your campus or the number of units/rooms. Pricing is facility based. View Umbrella License Fees for senior living and health care communities.

We show movies and TV shows that we have purchased or rented on DVD or through an online streaming service subscription. Do we still need a license to view or show it in public?

Yes. The location requires a license regardless of who owns the content. While you may have rented, borrowed, or purchased an audiovisual program, you are only granted the right to view it for personal, private use, not to perform it in public.

We want to license multiple communities. What is the next step?

The Umbrella License is facility based. If you wish to license multiple locations, please contact an MPLC Licensing Representative at (800) 462-8855 or via web for pricing assistance. A Licensing Representative can walk you through the licensing process and review any applicable group discounts.

We don’t charge admission. Do we still need a license?

Yes. A license is required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. In fact, the Umbrella License only covers situations where admission is not charged.

We’re not open to the general public. Do we still need a license?

Yes. “Performances in ‘semipublic’ places such as clubs, lodges, factories, summer camps and schools are ‘public performances’ subject to copyright control.” (Senate Report No. 94-473, p. 60)

We’re a nonprofit organization. Do we still need a license?

Yes. Under the US Copyright Act, a public performance license is required for both nonprofit and for-profit organizations.

Our community is strictly assisted living, nursing, and/or rehabilitation. Do we still need a license?

Yes. All senior living and health care communities regardless of the level of care provided or the license status of the community require a public performance license.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (800) 462-8855 or via web.